Eating Chocolate While Pregnant: But First.
Valentine’s Day is upon us. With hearts abounding, do something good for yours – eat some chocolate to satisfy those pregnancy cravings (within moderation of course). We thought you would be happy to hear the good news that there are benefits to eating chocolate while pregnant. For one, it is good for your heart. Why? How? You might ask? Read on, you will not be dissappointed.
Five Reasons Eating Chocolate While Pregnant is Smart
- Chocolate can lower blood pressure. That’s because that beautiful brown ambrosia contains theobromine which can dilate blood vessels and may lower blood pressure. Also, higher chocolate consumption is associated with lowering the risk of preeclampsia! The darker it is, the higher the concentration of theobromine. So choose chocolate with a cacao content of at least 65%.
- Remove Free Radicals & Toxins from Your Body. Oleic acid is also found in chocolate. This compound is rich in antioxidants which help remove free radicals and toxins in your body. It also may also help your cholesterol levels.
- Lower the Risk of Heart Disease. Chocolate contains flavonoids, which lowers risk of heart disease and contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Happy Babies. One of our very favorite reasons comes from a past Finnish study which found that chocolate can affect a baby’s behavior and that pregnant women who ate chocolate were more likely to birth happier babies.
- Happy Mommies. Finally, chocolate contains serotonin which may boost your own mood. Who doesn’t need that?
So go ahead, treat yourself to a delicious serving of chocolate. We suggest “Fair Trade Certified” and 100% Organic brands, so the happiness can spread all the way down the value chain. Some of our favorite brands include Divine Chocolate and Equal Exchange. Love yourself, love your baby and enjoy!